Todays life drawing was really fun and I enjoyed tweaking the clown (bubbles) to make him even scarier by pointing his drawn teeth and really focusing on his make up that made his eyes appear rounder to push his character of the scary clown further.
I made a few changes to the dress of the daughter because she was lacking shape and was starting to look blocky in terms of her silhouette. The dress is now hugging her waist more this time around like in the concept art for her character. I have also updated the facial expressions to include her mushroom crown and the top of her dress.
The Son is sad and scared through out the story and I wanted to express this in his expression sheet I have also included his final colours chosen for the son this was chosen because it looked the most innocent.
The Daughter is initially friendly but very dangerous and evil and I wanted that to be depicted in her expression sheet showing the progression of going from very sweet in terms of her expression to shifty and then finally to terrifying.
The colours that I like the most for the horse are A,D and H but I would like for the horse to compliment the son and father. So his colour will be dependent on how well it fits with the colour scheme.
The son needs to feel really sweet and innocent, I really like J, G and D I think that these colours are working the best. Especially J, I think that the hair and skin tone with the clothing is working well together.
I have been working on the horse trying to get the right face body and saddle, we decided on making the son and his father poor so we wanted a simple saddle and a friendly face for the horse that could also emote worry while the father is rushing to bring his son home.
After looking at these faces I went back to the face on the top of the the Initial Sketches sheet and lower his jaw and made his face the find horse face. Also After doing the initial reins in the Horse development sheet we both like the rope reins more so I further developed some more reins below.
D, became the favourite because it had enough interest in the front and still felt as though a farmer/ peasant would have tied his own rein in that way for his horse.
The next thing to figure out was the mane and we ended up choosing no.3.
The body that we liked most was A,which has a short tail and the proportions were just right.
The Saddle was between G,B,E and H and I went with H Because I liked the simplicity it had.
From the previous post of the Son I combined some of their elements to great this new set of designs keeping the element that we liked about the previous design. Which was the shirt and waist coat and his belt. These set of designs were to figure out the lower body clothing and shoes, we both liked C and I adjusted the pants to allow them to become a little bigger to created the final outfit design.
This is the final design of one of the daughters , I worked on the details of the dress and crown from the previous post and combined a few of the details I liked in all of these sketches to produce the final dress.
The Erlkings daughters were designed to be twins but one would be inspired by poisonous plants while the other .The daughter that I designed is inspired by mushrooms and poisonous animals from the forest. The final design is a combination of Sam and my ideas taking the outfits and faces that we both liked from our work and combing them. The outfits for the girls have the same base but we differed them slightly to make the characters have their own personalities.
After agreeing on a head that we both liked I began developing the Sons clothing designs with a body that we liked , we decided to aim for more of a peasant look after the feed back that we received. I really like B,D and G.
The design for the daughters are suppose to reflect aspects of the forest, the daughter that I am focussing on personifies the poisonous animals that you might find in a forest.
For the daughter I like E, A and B if she had a little bit more of a feminine chin, and I like the markings on F.
Some of the faces here are a little too young because we thought that to allow the girls to not appear sexual they had to be younger but after discussing it we considered finding the right body type and outfit that wasn't too exposing would also change the sexual look that the girls had in the animatic. In the beginning I thought that because they were of the forest, they had to have every element of them covered with the forest. But the poem is written in the German Romantic era and we wanted to bring in some of those elements in their clothing. The drawings that I am leaning more towards combines the two elements, numbers 1, 3,7 and 10 I believe need to be developed further.